The role of the Operational Committee has been laid out in the memorandum of understanding of the consortium (link). This states:
Membership: In the interests of rapid communication and management, this group will form as a subgroup of the SSC and comprise representatives from the main geographical regions/continents represented. These members will be invited to join based on experience in the field and in leading large consortia. Membership will be reviewed on a regular basis.
Responsibilities: The OC will primarily oversee the continued development and ongoing administrative management of the consortium. This will include, but is not restricted to:
- Invitation and registration of new cohorts, on the recommendation of existing members or based on new publications or direct application by the new cohort
- Collation of key summary cohort and phenotype details into a central database in order to share among members, to facilitate new ideas and projects.
- Development and maintenance of a website with secure web based access to the central database described above – access to which will be given to each participating PI for review and to update details of their own cohort.
- Maintenance of a list of all approved and pre-approved projects by the SSC.
- Promotion of the activities of the consortium to the wider scientific community through electronic and other means
- Preparing and providing letters of support and other administrative support required by consortium members to facilitate funding or publication
- Seeking and supporting opportunities to promote careers of junior investigators and fellows through facilitation of exchange programs or fellowship applications.
- The OC will meet approximately monthly (with options for more frequent meetings). Quorum will be set at 50%.